Tuesday, November 22, 2011

FYI: How to get my very stubborn dog to take his meds.

My mini dachshund, Turbo, was really being stubborn about taking his meds after having surgery to pin his broken leg. He could smell them over everything!  I tried cheese, peanut butter, sausage and eggs (his fave!) and yes even tried the side of the mouth thing and putting it in the back of his mouth.  None worked and he started growling at me after a day of trying all of this (and yes, he will bite!)

What worked:  Pork steak!  I cut three smallish pieces put a slit in each one and pushed one of each of his pills in.  Fed him off my plate and he never even blinked or chewed.  Not good I know, but when you're desperate to get meds down them ... you do what you have to do.   Now I can actually wrap each pill in a piece of roast beef from the deli and he gulps it right down. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some love below and let me know you were here - Thanks so much!